A 9-year-old child with cataracts in both eyes
- A 9-year-old child was referred to an eye doctor for decreased vision over several months
- The eye doctor found a cataract in each eye
Questions and tests found additional problems
- Child had suffered from diarrhea
- Parents had also been informed that their child had a nonverbal learning disorder
- Blood tests were suggestive of CTX
Early referral and the right care stopped CTX from getting worse
- Cataract surgery fully corrected the child's vision
- Patient was referred to specialists at Oregon Health and Sciences University and received the right care
- 6 years later, patient had no new CTX symptoms
Unusual or unexplained symptoms similar to what this 9-year-old child experienced, especially when seen together, may signal early suspicion of CTX.
Get answers. Test now.
Do you think it could be CTX? Use the symptom checker and talk to your doctor about testing available to help identify CTX.Find out more
Know how to spot CTX
CTX can cause many symptoms, some occurring at the same time.Learn more